Bose Companion 5 - any experiences?

Hi!

I wanna get rid of my 10 year old crappy speakers and I'm looking for some
really high class speakers and sound card.
I did some research and it seems that the Bose Companion 5 provides a very good
solution. It includes both - USB sound card and speakers - and people say that
it really gives the impression of 5 speakers - although there are only 2.

Does anyone have any experience with the bose companion 5? Is it known to work
with the usb-audio driver? Is the sound really 5.1?

I saw that OSS has some bose specific support in oss/cs4232.c. Didn't see
anything in the alsa sources though...might that be a problem?

Wouldn't wanna pay 400$ for anything less than optimal sound. If you think the
companion 5 isn't it, maybe you have a better suggestion?

Thanks,

Uli