Re: Bose Companion 5 - any experiences?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, David Deutsch wrote:

> Bose is known to color sound in a certain way. Its called the "bose
> sound". In the end its down to whether you like it or not. You should
> definitely do some thorough testing.
>
> Wanting "optimal" sound at 400$ plus surround sound is ludicrous. You
> will indeed be far better off buying decent headphones for that money.
> Beginner monitor speakers (not the hifi but studio speakers) barely
> start around that price, 2.0 setups mind you.

Of course if you are handy with woodwork, you can always build your own
speakers and end up with a pretty impressive set. Eg. Look at
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ for some speaker building plans, including cheap
but good ones. You will end up with something far better than you could
ever buy. Then buy a TransAudio T10.1 stereo amp and feed it off Maudio
Transit sound card ( they do pretty well in my tests), and you will have
your sub 400 very high quality system.  Bass will be a bit deficient, but
for that you would have to build yourself a real subwoffer for another $100
or so ( parts and materials) plus another amp.