Re: Bose Companion 5 - any experiences?

Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Uli wrote:
>

>> David Deutsch <skOre <at> skOre.de> writes:
>>

>>> Bose is known to color sound in a certain way. Its called the "bose
>>> sound". In the end its down to whether you like it or not. You should
>>> definitely do some thorough testing.
>>>
>> I heard it's strong mids...I like that but I'd definitely wanna hear it first of
>> course.
>>

>>> Wanting "optimal" sound at 400$ plus surround sound is ludicrous. You
>>> will indeed be far better off buying decent headphones for that money.
>>> Beginner monitor speakers (not the hifi but studio speakers) barely
>>> start around that price, 2.0 setups mind you.
>>>
>> Ok, say I'd be willing to pay 2k max for a complete 5.1 setup including sound
>> card, amp, and speakers. What would you suggest?
>>

>>> The 5.1 is most likely created by psychoacoustic effects, so it can
>>> always only be simulated 5.1 - without a sub: no .1!
>>>

> I have no idea what "simulated 5.1" is. You only have two ears. And no
> number of speakers will alter that.

Of course not. But what you can do is compute how the sound would come
out if it were 5 speakers. Yes you have only two ears, with each one,
you should normally hear each of these 5 the same, but there are small
differences that make your brain compute where that sound is from. You
can simulate this (by filters and pitch manipulation iirc) and thus
create how each of the 5 speakers WOULD sound like to your ear. The
tricky part now is that this is normally only done for headphones, so I
guess you would have to put in some more magic for 2 speakers. But I'd
say that you could come close. Real 5.1 however is only approachable in
that way since everybody has different ears.