Re: Bose Companion 5 - any experiences?

Bill Unruh <unruh <at> physics.ubc.ca> writes:
[snip]
> You have only two ears. The only difference in the sound coming in from the
> back is a fall off in the high freq response above about 1KHz (shielding by
> your ears. If you happen to have no outer ears there will be absolutely no
> difference. If you happen to have sticky out ears, there will be a greated
> roll off. )Ie, the in ear response can easily be duplicated by earphones
> with some tweaking of the signals.

The whole thing doesn't seem so easy...last year I heard from the guys at some
fraunhofer institute (the one that invented mp3 and aac) that they'd still be
working on a solution for that (which they'd probably sell to apple). They
wanted to ship some calibration tool with the system with which you could make
some adjustments for your head dimensions. I also heard that currently
headphones are sold with multiple speakers in them to do the same.

> That $100 soundcard is almost certainly
> very poor. ( You could try using my testing program
> www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/soundcard/soundcard.html))

Sounds real interesting...I'll give it a shot once I've found a cable to connect
in- and output. I wonder how the Sennheiser card performs in comparison to my
onboard hda-intel.

> Ie, the biggest problem with headphones is that the separation of sounds is
> too great. There exist cicuits which will feed one channel to the other
> side with the right phase and amplitude info. In fact sox has a module
> included to do that, but that is clearly useful only for preprocessing
> sound. Ie, a good pair of headphones augmented with sound processing
> circuitry will almost certainly be more satisfying than that Bose system.
> Eg, The Grado Labs SR60s ( which have gotten very good reviews) which I
> have and like will set you back about $70, plus a good soundcard will
> almost certainly sound better than any $400 system.

You're probably right about that. I just looked at the market for PC speakers
and the bose system seems to be the best there is according to its price tag and
the reviews I've seen.

I'll have a look if I can try those grado headphones somewhere. With which sound
card would you be running them? That maudio transit you suggested? Would that
also be the right choice if one would use a digital amp and some speaker system
with it?

But like I said I wouldn't be afraid to spend some more money on a sound system
if I'd get a decent gain in quality. Unfortunately, there'd be 3 choices to
make...sound card, amp, and speakers. Although I just saw an amp from harman
kardon[1] for about $1400 which apparently also has a USB audio card in it. How
about that?
Although one should probably invest more money into the speakers than the amp...

Thanks,

Uli

[1]
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=EUROPE&Country=DE&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=AVR%20645/230&sType=C