From: mQ - Martin Quested <martinquested@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19-Jun-2007 20:51
Subject: Re:  updated kernel leaves me without sound! : Ubuntu 7.04
To: Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On 19/06/07, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/19/07, mQ - Martin Quested <martinquested@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 'dmesg | grep snd' gives:
> > [   24.916000] snd_hda_intel: Unknown parameter `disable_msi'
> > [ 1149.352000] snd_hda_intel: Unknown parameter `disable_msi'
>
> Remove any reference to disable_msi from /etc/modprobe.conf.

Lee, you're my hero.

On my system (Kubunty Feisty), the offending reference was in the file
/etc/modprobe.d/options but removing it was exactly what I needed.  No
idea how many hours of time and lost sleep I've spent on this, but
it's been a learning process and I think I know my computer a bit
better as a result.

I'm also very happy with having gotten this version running - now it's
properly installed as a package it won't require recompiling every
time the headers are updated, I hope.  Plus, as an added bonus, for
the first time this driver makes correct use of my headphone socket
(cutting out the main speakers) and the physical mute/volume control
buttons on the laptop.

I am a very happy man.  Thank you again Lee and Benno for all your help.

Martin