Re: updated kernel leaves me without sound! : Ubuntu 7.04

Hello again.  I'm sorry to say I'm still strugglig on with this problem.

Further to previous emails, I finally managed to disable OSS
completely - by removing the file 'oss' from the init.d directory.
This made things a bit better, ie it seemed to give fewer errors, and
I was able to start kmix properly (albeit with a big red "X" symbol
over its icon to signify 'no sound card').

When doing 'sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel'  I was back to the error:

FATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel
(/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I decided to follow its advice and look at dmesg.

'dmesg | grep snd' gives:
[   24.916000] snd_hda_intel: Unknown parameter `disable_msi'
[ 1149.352000] snd_hda_intel: Unknown parameter `disable_msi'

I have read somewhere that disable_msi is an option that can be
provided when configuring the alsa driver.  Does that mean that it
*is* worth attempting to configure and compile my own driver?

I thought I would continue down that route, anyway, and put together
all the advice I have had so far about purging and removing modules,
recompiling the linux headers and configuring/compiling
alsa-driver-1.0.13 from the files downloaded from the alsa website.

At this point I get errors about
linux/config.h: No such file or directory
and
In file included from /home/mq/drivers/alsa-driver-1.0.13/acore/memalloc.inc:13,
                 from /home/mq/drivers/alsa-driver-1.0.13/acore/memalloc.c:1:
/home/mq/drivers/alsa-driver-1.0.13/include/adriver.h:742: error:
redefinition of 'jiffies_to_msecs'

I read on another forum that this latter error suggests that alsa
version 13 is not suitable for kernel 2.6.20-16 and that one could try
version 14rc3 instead.  Is this good advice?

Or am I now barking up the wrong tree again?

As I've said, I really appreciate all help with this, and I'm trying
my best to explore helpful things...

Thanks,

Martin