Re: updated kernel leaves me without sound! : Ubuntu 7.04

mQ - Martin Quested wrote:
> It didn't work out of the box when I upgraded from Edgy to
> Feisty, which is why I started down this whole track in the first
> place.

Okay.

> I am reluctant to reboot in the middle bit, i.e. between the
> purge and the reinstall, since purging the alsa packages also
> removes "ubuntu-minimal" which looks like it might be essential
> for the system to boot up at all.

No, ubuntu-minimal is just a meta-package: it pulls in the things
that Ubuntu thinks most people will need, or at least will provide
the functionality to make the system work with just about any
hardware.  When you don't uninstall anything else besides the
indicated packages, the system will boot fine.  (After installing a
system, I always uninstall the things I'll never need, like ppp and
dhcp, and this takes ubuntu-minimal with it.  It has never harmed.)

> modinfo: could not find module snd-opl3sa2

# dpkg -S snd-opl3sa2
linux-image-2.6.20-16-generic: /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/sound/isa/snd-opl3sa2.ko
linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic: /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/sound/isa/snd-opl3sa2.ko

So as Lee said, reinstall your linux-image.

Please don't CC me, answer just on-list.

Benno