Re: updated kernel leaves me without sound! : Ubuntu 7.04

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time and looking into this for me.

On 17/06/07, Benno Schulenberg <alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've now read the start of this thread, and do not understand why
> you are building alsa from source.  Feisty uses alsa-1.0.13, so if
> Edgy worked for you with that version of alsa, Feisty should work
> out of the box.

It didn't work out of the box when I upgraded from Edgy to Feisty,
which is why I started down this whole track in the first place.

> So, reinstall your linux-image-... package; then also reinstall
> linux-sound-base, alsa-base, and alsa-utils.  If simply reinstalling
> them does not have the desired effect, then first purge those last
> three packages, then reinstall them.

Done.  The desired effect is, of course, that I am then able to switch
my sound system (using the KDE System Settings controls) from OSS to
ALSA and then get a successful test sound out of the machine.

This has still not happened.  At this point, when I tell KDE to start
using ALSA, it shows me the "Starting sound system" progress bar,
which does not ever reach completion, but simply loops repeatedly from
0 to 90 in 5% increments, each time round incrementing half as fast as
the time before.

Needless to say, I have rebooted.

I am reluctant to reboot in the middle bit, i.e. between the purge and
the reinstall, since purging the alsa packages also removes
"ubuntu-minimal" which looks like it might be essential for the system
to boot up at all.

> > and 'aplay -l' then gives me a segmentation fault.
> As long as aplay segfaults, you know you haven't done the reinstall
> correctly yet.

aplay, alsamixer etc worked (but gave me OSS warnings) before I tried
to alter the settings in the KDE menu.  Once the progress bar has
started endlessly looping (or if I cancel it), then I get the
segfaults.  I presume I should not use the KDE menu?  If so, then the
system seems to be stuck using OSS.

(I have tried removing OSS but have not succeeded yet.)

Also, running 'alsaconf' - after or before using the KDE menu -
results in it finding no supported PnP or PCI cards, and then
complaining about missing modules:

modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd-opl3sa2
modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4236
modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4232
modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4231
modinfo: could not find module snd-es18xx
modinfo: could not find module snd-es1688
modinfo: could not find module snd-sb16
modinfo: could not find module snd-sb8

Have I purged too much?

Still feeling a bit clueless here... sorry!

Thanks again for your help.

Martin