updated kernel leaves me without sound! : Ubuntu 7.04

I was running Alsa version 1.0.13 on Ubuntu Edgy, with an nVidia MCP51
chip using the hda-intel driver.  When I upgraded to the current
version of Ubuntu Feisty, the sound wasn't there.  The system actually
told me there was no soundcard present.

Yet lspci continued to report that the sound card was there.

I tried sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-`uname -r` and then
re-installing Alsa, I tried versions 1.0.12, 1.0.13, 1.0.14 and a
couple of the 14rc versions - all as instructed on the wikis and
elsewhere.

At the point where I modprobe the driver I run into problems.  I've
tried both hda-intel and intel8x0.  With intel8x0 I get no response,
just a return to the prompt.  With hda-intel I get an error message:

FATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel
(/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

aplay -l continues to tell me there is no sound card present.

Is that the sort of detail you need?

All help gratefully received.  Thanks.

MQ