Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

Sergei,

thanks alot.

To be general enough to cover all things I will use this box for,I need -3db response down to 10Hz (5 would be better); I haven't seen many multichannel cards that will do this but RME will.

The reason I was looking at BruteFIR is it appears to be flexible enough to allow me to configure arbitrary filters myself.  In a separate e-mail you indicated an IIR EQ is the best solution.  Please let me know where I can learn more about this.

I've looked at "Jamin" EQ/crossover which is really cool and does alot of stuff I need, but it's lowest two EQ band are 25, 31 Hz.  I'd really like to implement a 48 channel sub-bass EQ from about 5HZ to 100Hz.  Do you konw of any tools (IIR) that will do this other than bruteFIR?

I have Jack tuned up now and working by changing the settings (frames/period and periods/buffer) per the response of this group (thanks!) -- but I still have to figure out why I can't get it to run in RT with my RT/64 kernel....  In any case, I think I can use this HD ICH7 card for now for experiments until I can afford a good sound card.  I'll probably go with a RME 9632 and I will need enough IO adapters/cards to give me the discrete outputs I need.

Thanks again,
Ronan

On 1/24/07, Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:53:53 -0800
"ronan mcallister" < bass.woofer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sergei,
>
> I am not familiar enough with what I need to say I must have Jack.  In fact,
> I can playback a simple WAV file by "ecasound  -i songmept1.wav -o:alsahw"
> just fine.   I think my Alsa system is OK, I was thinking I'd need Jack to
> allow me to impement signal processing using tools like bruteFIR, Jamin,
> etc.
>
> Should I be able to configure a basic active crossover (lowpass and high
> pass) and perhaps a parametric EQ without Jack?
>
> Let's say for a simple test I want to take my WAV, play it back with
> ecasound, route it to BruteFIR (or some other tool ) and implement a xover
> with separate high pass and low pass outputs driving external amplifiers.
> I've currently got the Intel ICH7 multi-channel HD sound card, although of
> course I realize this wont' be a good solution for much more than a simple
> test, should this inbuilt capability work for my simple test sans jack?
>
> Very sorry for my rank amateurish level of Linux audio knowledge and thanks
> for your help.
>
> Rgds,
> ronan

First of all, I'm not sure you really need bruteFIR.

I have very good headphones and I've played a lot with equalizers.

If I suppress just one band in 1/6 octave equalizer I barely hear
the difference - I do not think my ears have that bad hearing.

So, I think, a decent equalizer should be quite sufficient for your
equalization tasks, and bruteFIR is apparently an overkill.

Also, the more fine equalization you try to achieve, the more dependent
on your head location in the sound fields you become - remember about
standing waves, etc.

I did myself do equalization with ecasound without jack.

That's because:

1) ecasound can input sound from ALSA;
2) ecasound can output sound to ALSA;
3) ecasosund is able to insert a LADSPA plugin on the way, and the latter
can be the one doing equalization.

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. I think I've already recommended to buy a cheap old well supported
card like SB128 - es1371 driver - just to debug non-ALSA related issues,
like mixing, routing, equalization, latency.

I myself very much liked M-Audio Revolution 7.1, and people are
saying there is a much cheaper Chaintech one (something like AV710,
don't remember exactly) which has quite comparable to M-Audio Revolution 7.1
quality.

--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.