Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

Dominique,

I'm looking into the kernels/distro's you suggested -- in the
meantime, I did startup meterbridge, when using Ardour I to play a WAV
file, it's apparent the output level must be clipping the input to
ardour or to my alsa output (pcm) as the meterbridge meters peg.

Can you tell me what tool to use to playback a WAV file outside of
Ardour -- a tool which is JACK-aware I can use to bypass my alsa_pcm
capture_1 and capture_2 inputs which apparently are inpust to Ardour
when you preview a wav file?  Ardour is so complex, I really just need
to playback a WAV file (tried aplay but it says my /dev/dsp is busy --
I guess Jack uses it?).

Any general troubleshooting techniques I can use before I reimage this
PC with a different kernel?  I'm using SUSE 10.1 now, and I think this
is realtime compatable.  Additionally I've got a PentiumD processor,
so I think (hope) the 64-bit audio kernels would work fine.

Maybe this is an alsa issue.  I do know the WAV file plays fine using
aplay (without jackd running) --  I can't seem to pipe (or route) this
WAV file into anything and have it come out undistorted.

Thank you
Ronan