Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

Le Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:28:17 -0800,"ronan mcallister" <bass.woofer@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> What Linux/distro do you use?> > Since I posted this I've been experiencing "..But you'll pay dearly> for it" with an issue I have on Suse 10.1 and my inbuilt Intel 82801G> ICH7 multichannel sound card.  My hope was to install and run up Linux> and test the inbuilt audio software, but I can't seem to get even the> most basic features to work -- I've posted elsewhere, but this group> seems to be the most active.  I think the problem is not Alsa but Jack> as I can playback wav's and capture audio through Alsa (eg aplay,> amarok), but anything I playback through Jack connections (Ardour etc)> is distorted - noisy - clicky and no answer found yet.  I'm not sure> how to troubleshoot Jack.> Suse standard kernel is not optimised for professional audio work and you willget huge sound latency with jack, but yYou can use a kernel from the jacklabhttp://jacklab.net/
They are some pro-audio distribution as 64 studio  http://64studio.com/,Musix, or even gentoo with the proaudio overlayhttp://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
The advantage of those distribution is at you will get not only a realtimekernel (needed to get the most of jack), but a fully optimised system for audiowork. 64 studio and musix are debian testing based and incorporate many audioapplications not in debian, and you can install all the debian softwares fromdebian testing and unstable (as fvwm-crystal, I am tired of kde, I hate gnomefocus policy and fvwm is just so fast and so incredibly flexible). Don't beafraid about the word testing, the stability of debian testing is like adistribution as suse.
The advantage of gentoo is its documentation and flexibility (and it isoutstandingly stable if you just follow the handbook (it mean: don't messwith the CFLAGS, just use the ones in the doc)), but it will need morework to setup. Another advantage is on the long run: it is no dependency hellwhen upgrading a gentoo system, only some time used by portage to compile theprograms.
Actually, I use mostly gentoo, and also 64studio when I want to try somethingelse. But I really prefer gentoo even if I recognize at 64 studio is a reallygreat audio distribution (it is the successor of agnula/demudi and of the samequality, maybe even better)
About jack and distortion, be aware at it is easy to go in clipping when mixinga few sound channels or using effects. You must can use a vu-meter asmeterbridge with the dpm option:meterbridge -t dpm in_1 in_2or even better, jack_mixer http://home.gna.org/jackmixer
Ciao,Dominique
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of ITJoin SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share youropinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cashhttp://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user