Re: How do I set the default sound card?

Hi Dominique,

Thank you for your help.

> You must have a file somewhere in /etc/modprobe.d with the options for the
> sound modules. I am not sure about debian, but I think at it
> is /etc/modprobe.d/sound.

With Debian testing it is /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. I added the following
lines:
---------
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=2
---------

The strange thing is that whenever I boot with just the webcam OR the headset
connected everything works as expected. But when I boot with BOTH the webcam
and the headset connect my on-board soundcard "disappears". But when I remove
my customization above from /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base all three devices show
up.

Is there any way to get out some more debugging information from ALSA so that
I can see why my on-board soundcard is not available in this special
situation?

> This kind of problem with the sound (and other modules) is really bad for
> linux because multimedia is a great and fast growing part of computer
> experience, and that with every OS. Linux must really fix this to be able
> to compete on the desktop market.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :-)

> So check if it is a debian multi sound card configuration documentation. If
> not, fill a polite bug report on debian bugzilla.

I would like to try debugging as much as I can with this lists help before I
move to even another mailing list...

> Another solution is to try gentoo, the docs are the best of all the linux
> distribution I know.

I tried already. Too much compiling. :-)

Thanks & Greetings from Solothurn

Ronny