Re: locale and dead keys

On 15/08/2005, at 1:15 AM, Antonios Christofides wrote:

I think it means that the default locale applies, which is about the
same as us english with us ascii.

No good, then. Thankyou for explaining that. :)

You need to change that to something else. Try, for example, to run an
xterm with LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO-8859-1, like this:
  export LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO-8859-1
  xterm

OK, this was no good, probably because I'm using a Unicode layout. It was entertaining, though. Using my Unicode layout, the insertion point jumped back and forward through the line, and the text attacked itself, eating itself like some cannibalistic snake.
Try also en_US.UTF-8 (this is what I use).

This was an improvement. It will now input the vowels which are one separate character on their own in my layout. These are six additional vowels in our alphabet.

However, none of the five essential added accents (applied to all 12 vowels to create meaning in words) work. I still get a space instead of the accent added to the following vowel.

I tried vi_VN.UTF.8, but it said the encoding was unsupported in the C library.

Shouldn't en_US.UTF.8 support any UTF.8 language?