Re: locale and dead keys

On 10/08/2005, at 8:29 PM, Antonios Christofides wrote:

I want to be able to type both French and Greek (and English).

Antonios, I have posted about this before (twice), and got no response so far. :(

I want to be able to use both English and Vietnamese, constantly. I can use both with no problems in my Mac OSX GUI (Mac OSX is a BSD- based Unix), but in X11...

When I start the application (xterm, uxterm, and openoffice all
exhibit the same behavior) with LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8, then Greek is
OK; but if I switch to us_intl keymap, I can't type accented letters;
they are just ignored.

I get empty boxes when I type a dead key, instead of the input not moving, then the accent being placed on the next vowel. :(

Is this like what's happening to you?

If, instead, I start the application with LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8, then
us_intl dead keys work OK. Most Greek characters, including accented
ones (produced with the dead key) are OK; but the Greek quotes and
Greek semicolon, which are produced with the dead key, don't work.

I don't know if I have those options. How would I do this in X11?

Can't I just somehow say to the system to ignore what is before the
dot at LC_CTYPE and just accept the UTF-8 result that seems to be
coming from the keyboard driver anyway?

A friend of mine finally got an admission recently that 'there are some problems with X11 and some languages", but that was all the information being offered. :(

Antonios, there must be people inputting Greek successfully in X. Try writing to:

Simos Xenitellis: simos74@xxxxxxx

He's the head of a Greek translation effort, and knows a great deal about Greek input. Tell him I sent you. :) He's very helpful.

I could believe that maybe there were problems inputting Vietnamese in X11 on Mac specifically, but there are plenty of people using it on Linux/Unix non-Mac! This bears more investigation, but I really don't know where to start.

Thanks a lot.

I'm running X 4.3 on a Debian Sarge.

If for some reason Simos isn't available, pop up on the debian-i18n mailing list, where there is plenty of expertise on inputting different languages in Debian. ;)

Καλή τύχη!

(I love your language: it's so beautiful to read and write.)