locale and dead keys

Hi,

I want to be able to type both French and Greek (and English).

When I start the application (xterm, uxterm, and openoffice all
exhibit the same behavior) with LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8, then Greek is
OK; but if I switch to us_intl keymap, I can't type accented letters;
they are just ignored.

If, instead, I start the application with LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8, then
us_intl dead keys work OK. Most Greek characters, including accented
ones (produced with the dead key) are OK; but the Greek quotes and
Greek semicolon, which are produced with the dead key, don't work.

Can't I just somehow say to the system to ignore what is before the
dot at LC_CTYPE and just accept the UTF-8 result that seems to be
coming from the keyboard driver anyway?

Thanks a lot.

I'm running X 4.3 on a Debian Sarge.

--