Re: Two monitors on a dual head card

Hi Scott,

Am Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2004 18:44 schrieb Scott Rubin:
> Christian,
>
> Thanks, that almost worked.  The problem is that I don't have two video
> cards, they both the DVI and the CRT heads have the same BusID.  I think
> that is mainly what's throwing everything off.  The only way I can get
> both heads to work right now is with TwinView, but twinview is no good.
>   It just takes both of my monitors and turns them into one big one.  I
> mean, it should be very possible to do what I want, it just seems that
> nobody really knows how.  Maybe I'll try using xinerama, it still sticks
> me with just one login and one window manger, maybe I'll get used to it.
I have the same situation: A matrox G550, just one BusID.

It's not that nobody knows how.
What you want is just not supported.
Let me explain.

In short it's because
a) Two instances of cannot share the same graphics hardware simultaneously. So
you'd need a single instance.
b) A single instance can't start two displays, only one with more than one
screen.
c) X authorization is on a per-display-basis, not a per-screen-basis
d) xdm uses X authorization
e) most window managers work on a per-display-basis, not a per-screen-basis.
Seeing them starting an instance for each screen should not belie the fact
that most of them get really confused if they manage only one, not all
screens of a display, which I tried with kwin, kvwm2 and twm.

You could try to get around problems a) and b) by:
a) not use Xinerama
b) use DisplayManager.*.terminateServer false in xdm-config
c) start X with option -noreset
But the next issue is telling xdm to display two login screens, and this is
where it fails because xdm knows the difference between displays and screens.

What you would need is an X server that treats the two heads not as two
screens for the same display but as each a display of its own. Though it
would be a nice feature, XFree86 does not support this.

Theoretically you might start X as root and run your own login manager which
you manually told to display xlogin for each screen instead of xdm, but this
is not a real solution, just a maybe possible hack working not very well.

If I am wrong, anybody please tell me, because I myself would really like to
have a two keyboard two mice two heads one busid solution.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer