Two monitors on a dual head card

Hello,

I'm running linux and I've got a pretty standard xfree86 install. In fact, its compiled from source because I use gentoo. Anyway, I'm also using the nvidia binary drivers, as that is the only way I see to actually get some 3d performance and make my expensive video card actually useful.

The problem I am having is that I recently acquired a second monitor. I want to setup X in such a way that the two screens will act like two seperate computers. The display manager should show logins on either screen. I should be able to switch the keyboard and mouse between the two screens with a key combination or with x2x. I want to be able to load one window manager on the left screen and another window manager on the right hand monitor. (ion on the left and xfce4 on the right). My righthand monitor is an lcd plugged in via dvi, the lefthand monitor is a crt plugged in via standard vga.

The nvidia documentation says to have two device, two screen and two monitor sections. I set those up perfectly. Then in the serverlayout I set screen0 to be leftof screen1.

This doesn't work. I get errors that say screens were found but configured improperly.

I would attach log files and configs, but I'm using windows right now (dual boot). I haven't used linux lately mainly because of this problem. It's kind of bothering me too, because linux was my primary os, then when I got dual monitors the tables turned again. Please help a geek out.

-Scott