Re: Re: Re: Re: Improvement

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 7:23 PM
Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Improvement

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Pedro M. wrote:
>
> Some people or distributions might be interested in following
> that approach perhaps.  That isn't user friendly however.  A user
> friendly system would have monitors that just worked, requiring
> zero user intervention or configuration.  Any monitor metadata
> needed for configuration would be supplied by the system (or
> manufacturers) and included with the OS (or driver updates), just
> as it is done in Windows.
>
> You (and others) may want to have a dialog for punching in this
> information indefinitely perhaps.  Personally, I want to see the
> problem solved on a higher level, and be automatic, thus having
> users not need to know anything about their monitor other than
> how to turn it on.

There is two different ways to it :

- The people with some computeres that want to use Linux. They cannot use
this automatic  configuration and they couldn´t know about linux now :(

- Follow another standard for a full automated user-friendly
installation/configuration. This can be stablish from now, so the next
computers can follow this good standard.

Unfortunatelly,  I think one have to follow the two ways.

I love the automated installation idea. So go ahead with it.

On the other hand, I was thinking about another problem with the desktop :
the keyboard / language.

Thinking about automated installation, I would like to see the keyboard
talking to the operating system ( symbolically, of course ) and saying : I
am a keyboard and my ID is KB_ES_es
(http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_code ).

In this way, I wouldn´t have to type, i.e.,  the cheatcode knoppix lang=es

"VGASAVE".

I have included more links in http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?XFreeCommon
and information in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGASAVE

> Take care,