Re: Re: Improvement

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Pedro M. wrote:

>I would like to see XFSetup (RedHat) and Xconfigurator within X .

Not sure what XFSetup is unless you mean XF86Setup, which was an
ancient XFree86 3.x and earlier config tool written in TCL/Tk.
It was shipped with XFree86, but was removed from the source tree
at some point as it only worked with 3.3.x, and nobody had any
intention on porting it to 4.x.  There was no motivation for
anyone to port it to 4.x either, since xf86cfg more or less
replaced it as a GUI X configuration tool, supplied with XFree86.
XF86Setup, was not a Red Hat tool however, but an XFree86 tool
that is now obsolete.

Xconfigurator was originally written by Red Hat (way before my
days here) and was very heavily based upon the XFree86 supplied
xf86config source code.  Xconfigurator was discontinued as of Red
Hat Linux 8.0 however, and replaced with a new tool written in
python, named redhat-config-xfree86.  The reason that
Xconfigurator was discontinued was because it was never more than
a quick ugly hack really.  It worked quite well all things
considered, but the source code is a huge ugly mess of spaghetti
code which had new bits bandaided in over time with each new OS
release, while developers rushed to enhance it in new ways with
minimal effort to minimize developmental resources put into the
tool, at least that is my personal viewpoint based on examination
of the source code and having maintained it myself for a year or
so.  It was more a hot-potato application that nobody really was
interested in owning, and more "got stuck with".  The
unmaintainable sources can attest to that.

With a pileup of new features required or requested for X
configuration, it became obvious to me, that Xconfigurator would
not be able to be pushed any further without a total rewrite from
scratch.  Look at the source code of it yourself, and you will
find it difficult to disagree with me on that.  ;o)  So it was
decided to rewrite a new config tool for our OS distribution, and
in Red Hat tradtition (obsession?), it was written in
python+GTK+, as a GUI application.  While redhat-config-xfree86
does not currently do all of the same things Xconfigurator did,
that is by design and intentional, as Xconfigurator had too many
advanced/expert settings in it which normal users rarely if ever
require, and many users changed things anyway and created
problems unnecessarily for themselves.

So, Xconfigurator wont be coming back in our OS at least, however
the source code is dual licensed GPL and MIT, so anyone can hack
at it if they desire.  If someone in the OSS community is
interested in any way of rekindling Xconfigurator as a
sourceforge or other project, feel free to contact me about this,
and I don't think there will be any problem reassigning the
source code to someone else.  ;o)  Be sure to actually LOOK at
the sources first before committing to such an effort however,
and make sure you've got a barf bag handy.  ;o)

That said, the only X configuration tool that will be in our OS
releases here on out, will be our in-house written new config
tool, redhat-config-xfree86, which is being renamed to
"system-config-xfree86" I believe in our next release, so that
others feel more at ease about reusing the source code for their
own purposes, or in other distributions.

Now I know your comments were not pertaining directly to Red Hat,
and our XFree86 releases, however I thought that my comments
might help others to understand the two applications a bit better
that you pointed out, and at least why they are not present in
Red Hat OS distributions any longer.  That can help to understand
also why neither application is part of XFree86 itself directly,
and neither application is ever likely to be part of XFree86 in
the future, as there is really no good technical reason for them
to exist anymore.

Nonetheless, this is the open source community, and anyone
sufficiently motivated enough, can take either utility and
revitalize them for their own purposes.

>Why when i go to Windows the first time, it goes in a low
>resolution and frequency and no in XFree ??.

Windows starts up generally in 800x600 nowadays (XP).  It uses a
special driver Microsoft supplies called "VGASAVE".  I'm not
completely at understanding at what this driver is doing
specifically, however I believe that it is more or less a VESA
BIOS driver, which can fallback to VGA mode if need be, and might
possibly have special code in it for certain other hardware.
It's more or less a "failsafe" driver which is "good enough" in
order for a proper native driver to be installed for the video
hardware in the system.  When you boot into 'safe mode', this is
the driver Windows uses.  XFree86 could benefit also from having
such a driver of course, and the "vesa" driver is probably the
closest thing to such that exists in XFree86 currently.  The vesa
driver however requires a non-broken VESA BIOS in order to work
correctly, and judging by the large number of "vesa" driver
user's bug reports I see, there are numerous broken BIOSes out
there which make it difficult to have a failsafe driver.

I believe it would be possible to fork the "vesa" driver into a
new driver named "failsafe" or somesuch, which uses VESA VBE by
default, but gets special hacks put in place for systems that are
reported to not work, but workarounds can be found, and detected
by PCI ID and other mechanisms.  I'd like to at least experiment
with this in the future to see if it is a crazy idea or not.

>If everything is OK (after installation = first time) I can
>change the resolution, frequency and so on from the same Gnome
>or another desktop manager.
>
>I suggest try ( during installation) by default the 800X600 mode
>and a low refresh frequency ( if there is not plug and play
>autodetection).

I don't disagree, however in order for it to work on _all_ video
hardware, including hardware there are no drivers for, and
hardware there are drivers for, but the drivers may be buggy,
thus preventing the user from using X from the start, a new
driver is required, which can provide minimal unaccelerated 2D
video using VESA VBE and other fallbacks.  Without that, it's
just a pipe dream.

--
Mike A. Harris