Re: Re: Re: Improvement

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 5:44 PM
Subject:  Re: Re: Improvement

> So, Xconfigurator wont be coming back in our OS at least, however
> the source code is dual licensed GPL and MIT, so anyone can hack
> at it if they desire.  If someone in the OSS community is
> interested in any way of rekindling Xconfigurator as a
> sourceforge or other project, feel free to contact me about this,
> and I don't think there will be any problem reassigning the
> source code to someone else.  ;o)  Be sure to actually LOOK at
> the sources first before committing to such an effort however,
> and make sure you've got a barf bag handy.  ;o)

This is an interesting idea.  A sourceforge project would be a good thing
( with Xconfigurator or a new tool).

  That can help to understand
> also why neither application is part of XFree86 itself directly,
> and neither application is ever likely to be part of XFree86 in
> the future, as there is really no good technical reason for them
> to exist anymore.
>
> Nonetheless, this is the open source community, and anyone
> sufficiently motivated enough, can take either utility and
> revitalize them for their own purposes.

There is user´s interest about it . See
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianDesktop

Now, my screen is black, without Xwindow. Why ??. When I could see it in
Knoppix LiveCD without problems ??. :?

I think the problem is the monitor frequency, but not sure... I would like
to try to change the frequency ( with a help tool that automatically restore
to the last value if I don´t press the OK key in a popup window in a certain
time after the changes ).

This is newbie-proof, isn´t  it ?? ( one uses it in Windows too ;)

> >Why when i go to Windows the first time, it goes in a low
> >resolution and frequency and no in XFree ??.
>
> Windows starts up generally in 800x600 nowadays (XP).  It uses a
> special driver Microsoft supplies called "VGASAVE".

Good thing to imitate ;)

 I'm not
> completely at understanding at what this driver is doing
> specifically, however I believe that it is more or less a VESA
> BIOS driver, which can fallback to VGA mode if need be, and might
> possibly have special code in it for certain other hardware.
> It's more or less a "failsafe" driver which is "good enough" in
> order for a proper native driver to be installed for the video
> hardware in the system.

That´s what I need for my first installation. Later, I can use another
driver...

 When you boot into 'safe mode', this is
> the driver Windows uses.  XFree86 could benefit also from having
> such a driver of course, and the "vesa" driver is probably the
> closest thing to such that exists in XFree86 currently.  The vesa
> driver however requires a non-broken VESA BIOS in order to work
> correctly, and judging by the large number of "vesa" driver
> user's bug reports I see, there are numerous broken BIOSes out
> there which make it difficult to have a failsafe driver.
>
> I believe it would be possible to fork the "vesa" driver into a
> new driver named "failsafe" or somesuch, which uses VESA VBE by
> default, but gets special hacks put in place for systems that are
> reported to not work, but workarounds can be found, and detected
> by PCI ID and other mechanisms.  I'd like to at least experiment
> with this in the future to see if it is a crazy idea or not.

Go ahed with it. You are taking Linux to a next step forwards.

> >If everything is OK (after installation = first time) I can
> >change the resolution, frequency and so on from the same Gnome
> >or another desktop manager.
> >
> >I suggest try ( during installation) by default the 800X600 mode
> >and a low refresh frequency ( if there is not plug and play
> >autodetection).
>
> I don't disagree, however in order for it to work on _all_ video
> hardware, including hardware there are no drivers for, and
> hardware there are drivers for, but the drivers may be buggy,
> thus preventing the user from using X from the start, a new
> driver is required, which can provide minimal unaccelerated 2D
> video using VESA VBE and other fallbacks.  Without that, it's
> just a pipe dream.

I agree. (perhaps in the near future I am going to change to redhat ;)

Regards.