cant get a crystal scan monitor to work

I've successfully installed RedHat 9, but on bootup I get a message about not
being able to start the xserver, then it leaves me with a text window.  Linux
seems to be functioning ok from there.

The video card (Trio 32/64) was recognized during the installation, and the
monitor (Gateway Crystal Scan 1024 NI) I found in the list provided (I was
surprized).  Once I selected this, the panel with the scan frequencies showed
values that more or less agreed with the manual I have for the monitor.

The installation guide says I'll get a gui to help me set preferences - but I
never get one.  I've tried editing the XF86Config file to tell it to use the
vesa driver instead of the S3 -- but it still fails.

I also have Windows XP installed, and the monitor works fine there.

What I think is happening, from the messages I get, is that the configurator
finds the card ok, but it gets no answer back from the monitor (it being so old
that it doesn't respond?).  It then creates a default configuration file and
tries again, to no avail.

I think it is a bug that there seems to be no way to force the server to use
the
monitor I told it to use and not probe to see if I got it right.

I have the log file, but somewhere between getting it on floppy and viewing it
from Windows, it seems to have lost the line breaks.  I enclose it anyway, in
hopes that it is useful as is.  The troubles are shown, of course, near the
end:

Primary Device is:
(WW) s3: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:8:0) found

it repeats that many times as it steps throught the addresses down to
(BusID PCI:9:19:0)

Then
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
No screens found

Hopefully, you can suggest to me a way around this?