Re: 2d performance info

Billy Biggs wrote:
Hi Ed,

  I would rather discuss 2D performance than mga_vid but I am not sure
where you want to go since your reply focused mostly on mga_vid.  I'll
explain my position a little better on mga_vid though, hope it's useful.

Ed Sweetman (ed.sweetman@xxxxxxxxx):

I was originally looking to finding a place where a modern benchmarking of the most popular cards used with xfree86 are done. Either that or a list of extensions or features of an extension that are hardware accelerated by a card, much like how individual instructions are shown as being hardware accelerated or not in opengl for 3d support. I'd like to be able to decide if getting an ati card or nvidia card is the way to go for the future of X support if i dont want to use propriatary drivers

A simple way of seeing the amount of hardware support for certain cards and the progress in working on hardware support for upcoming features...Stuff similar to how the dri.sourceforge page displays progress of support. I really really dont care about 3d, anything i can do to make the 3d performance of my card into 2d i'll do. Not loading glx, not loading dri in order to increase 2d performance ...these are guess and check things because everywhere you see people telling you to load these things for better X performance, without telling you that it's at the cost of 2d by sucking up memory or worse. Really i'm looking for something that is strictly 2d performance oriented in the direction and showing of progress in xfree86 drivers, in the same way that there are for 3d support.