Re: 2d performance info

Billy Biggs wrote:
Ed Sweetman (ed.sweetman@xxxxxxxxx):

My config settings for my matrox g450 are aggressive with agp enabled

  Does the open source driver use DMA at all?  If it doesn't, do the
higher AGP modes even help at all?

for matrox? I believe so. I'm sure some drivers do not but i'd suspect matrox's to.

RENDER does not use dma at all, which hinders performance a lot i would think seeing as how render is used from anti-aliased fonts to alphablending and the more programs use either the more render's performance comes into question.

and backing store enabled,

Is this good or bad?
good for drivers that can use it correctly. Bad for ones that cant.

i'm being held back by this G450 despite all the support for using the
backend scaler and triple buffering for video playback that i use
often.

  Don't trust this.  The video stuff is often quite hacky and it's not
very good, even for this 'well supported' card.  Specs are widely
available yet all of these drivers could still use a ton of work, and
now the cards are getting quite obsolete.

Dont trust it in what way? I have a G450, I've hacked mplayer's matrox driver to utilize the backend scaler for triple buffering and i've most definitely seen the difference compared to straight xv. It definitely works well on the G450 and support is nearly non-existant for any other card in this area as far as i know.

And are there any other 2d Xfree86 benchmarks out there that benchmark
the functions and extensions actually used in X these days like render
and shape and pixmap manipulation and all that stuff?

  I am not sure of one in particular but the ones we like to use for
supporting our app are mostly just 'x11perf -shmput500' which is usually
a good indication of what any sort of 2D app would need (at least it's a
good estimate for video or 2D game performance).

That's one test of one call. Hardly a measure of performance for the average X users workload. Though it is probably the most important call dealing with performance. I've done it on my G450 athlon system and my P4 nvidia system using xfree86's nv driver and the nv driver completely destroys the G450. But my matrox driver has triple buffered backend scaler video support, something the nv driver doesn't have I believe. ATI however seems to have better hardware support, I'm not sure though because I haven't seen any sort of up to date rundown of video card performance and support (ie. cvs), only for 3d.

-Billy