Re: 2d performance info

Billy Biggs wrote:
RENDER does not use dma at all, which hinders performance a lot i
would think seeing as how render is used from anti-aliased fonts to
alphablending and the more programs use either the more render's
performance comes into question.

  How would RENDER use DMA?  I know keithp talks about doing things like
DMA'ing video data FROM video memory back to system memory in order to
do compositing on the CPU, then send it back, but I think that idea is
silly.

The mga driver does some RENDER acceleration, which reads data from the system memory (the alpha texture, for example). This could perhaps done via DMA.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria