Re: [XFree86] glxgears and high pitch tone

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 00:36, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Does it still make the sound if you run an external monitor instead of
> the built-in LCD?

didn't try it out yet.

> My guess is that it has something to do with the
> frame rate being much, much higher than the refresh rate.  That would
> explain with it does it with gears (which probably runs at hundreds of
> frame per second) and not tuxracer.  My best guess is that it's the
> display itself that's making the noise.  Try setting the

the noise comes from the display. I'm pretty sure about that.

> 'LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH' environment variable (to any value) and re-run
> gears.  That will sync the frame rate to the refresh rate.

setting this variable I hear no more noise. so it's actually the built
in LCD that can't refresh as fast as 800FPS and is therefore emitting
this sound. so this is a design issue but not a hardware failure, is it?

> Also, are you *sure* the noises aren't in your head? ;)

I'm positive it's not in my head :)

andreas