Re: [XFree86] glxgears and high pitch tone

Andreas Kotowicz wrote:
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 21:56, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

Graphics intensive applications have been known to create noise on the
PCI bus - this is probably what you're hearing.  There's a fair bit of
info out on the web if you look into audio related sites.

IIRC, there are some PCI options you can pass XFree86 that tell it to be
nicer to the PCI bus.  Of course, it probably costs performance.

  I don't think he's talking about sound card glitches.  I believe
he's talking about the machine emitting a high-pitched whine under
load.  These things tend to be power related as far as I can tell.

right! i'm not talking about sound problems. I'm talking about my machine emitting some bothering noises.

Does it still make the sound if you run an external monitor instead of the built-in LCD? My guess is that it has something to do with the frame rate being much, much higher than the refresh rate. That would explain with it does it with gears (which probably runs at hundreds of frame per second) and not tuxracer. My best guess is that it's the display itself that's making the noise. Try setting the 'LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH' environment variable (to any value) and re-run gears. That will sync the frame rate to the refresh rate.

Also, are you *sure* the noises aren't in your head? ;)