Re: [XFree86] glxgears and high pitch tone

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:40:31PM +0200, Andreas Kotowicz wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 20:11, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > > been hearing them since.  Not sure if it's the video hardware itself
> > > making the noise or the power supply.  Something like gears probably
> > > draws more power than something like tuxracer.
> >
> > if I run on batteries I still have this noise so it can't be the power
> > supply, can it?
>
> Graphics intensive applications have been known to create noise on the
> PCI bus - this is probably what you're hearing.  There's a fair bit of
> info out on the web if you look into audio related sites.
>
> IIRC, there are some PCI options you can pass XFree86 that tell it to be
> nicer to the PCI bus.  Of course, it probably costs performance.

   It sounds like you are refering to pci-retry related sound
card problems.

   I don't think he's talking about sound card glitches.  I believe
he's talking about the machine emitting a high-pitched whine under
load.  These things tend to be power related as far as I can tell.

			MArk.