Re: [XFree86] glxgears and high pitch tone

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:40:31PM +0200, Andreas Kotowicz wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 20:11, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > been hearing them since.  Not sure if it's the video hardware itself
> > making the noise or the power supply.  Something like gears probably
> > draws more power than something like tuxracer.
>
> if I run on batteries I still have this noise so it can't be the power
> supply, can it?

Graphics intensive applications have been known to create noise on the
PCI bus - this is probably what you're hearing.  There's a fair bit of
info out on the web if you look into audio related sites.

IIRC, there are some PCI options you can pass XFree86 that tell it to be
nicer to the PCI bus.  Of course, it probably costs performance.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.