Re: Some very basic How-to needed

I think this is new to the cvs version, and may even be only for the
ati driver (since I have no idea about the internal workings, this is
just what my setup is and does), but the virtual size seemed to be
setting itself to the highest mode it -thought- my monitors could
support (apparantly based on the sync rates I specified).

That is, my two monitors are setting themselves to 1920x??? and
1600x1200.  But the two monitors really can only do 1600x1200 and
1280x1024, respectively.  Also my screen section only requests
1024x786.  Irregardless, the virtual resolution was set to the first
pair of numbers, and the physical to the last pair.

Here are the relavent lines:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"CTX:1705"
	HorizSync	30-95
	VertRefresh	50-160
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"MIT:17HX"
	HorizSync	30-82
	VertRefresh	50-130
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Left Screen"
#	Device		"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon 7500 [RV200 QW]"
	Device		"analog port"
	Monitor		"CTX:1705"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
#	virtual 1024 768
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Right Screen"
#	Device		"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon 7500 [RV200 QW]"
	Device		"digital port"
	Monitor		"MIT:17HX"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
#	virtual 1024 768
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Left Screen"
	Screen		"Right Screen" LeftOf "Left Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	Option	"Xinerama"	"On"
EndSection

With the above configuration the virtual sizes are set much too high.
However, if you comment out the virtual directive, you can get the
expected behavior.

I just wanted to say that, since maybe someone also had this problem
and couldn't find the virtual directive.

Also, does anyone know if this behavior is supposed to be happening in
the CVS version?  Or is a fluke of my (wacky) setup?

Cheers,
  Adam Luter