[Newbie]MSI KT266 Pro2 + powered by ATI Radeon 7500 + XFree 4.2=> X shutdown = PC Crash (bip bip)

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> > Sorry, consider me a fellow sufferer.  We should stay in touch on this
> > though.  I am going to try ONE thing next:  I have a Soundblaster Live!
> > Value card and I've heard bad things about them.  I'm going to pop it out
> > and see if I get the same problem.  Then I'm going to try a methodical
> > combination of DRI-enabled kernels and XFree86 versions.
>
> The problems with VIA KT266A chipsets, DMA enabled HDs combined with a SB Live! are due to some trouble with PCI timings.
> With this config I'd rather not use DMA since cases of severe data loss were reported, but I can't tell if this affects AGP ops as well tho I can imagine, since the AGP has a direct connection via the north bridge. Watch out for BIOS updates.

Hi Dexter,
thanks for the info.  I'm using a ABit BM6 motherboard (which may have
been lost in my post).  I have been using DMA and I also have an SBLive!
Value on this.  I'll report back when I get 'round to taking the card out.
I haven't really researched the issue but there was in general a very
negative feeling about the SBLive! on the RH lists toward the end of last
year.

-Oisin