[Newbie]MSI KT266 Pro2 + powered by ATI Radeon 7500 + XFree 4.2=> X shutdown = PC Crash (bip bip)

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, yann FUSERO wrote:

[snip]

> MSI KT266Pro2 card (VIA VT8366A and VIA VT8233 chispets)
> AGP PowerColor 64MB card powered by ATI Radeon 7500 ( Radeon RV 200QW
> chipset).

I'm trying to get the PowerColor 64MB (AGP) [RV2A] to work with an ABit
BM6 motherboard running RedHat7.2.  I've been using Mike Harris'
bleeding-edge, no-guarantees, hand-rolled RPMs of XF86-4.2.x  and the
Rawhide 2.4.18-0.x kernels to try and find a stable configuration.  No
luck yet.

[snip]

> *my problem :
>
> I can't use Suse built in tool (sax2) to configure XFree (PC crashes).
> I wrote XF86Config by hand (from the one for my old card) and X works fine
> (even 3D hardware acceleration).
> The problem is that I can't stop X without getting a PC crash.
> When X stops, the PC freezes and start emetting many "bip" until I use the
> power off button.

My problem is that DRI is anabled according to glxinfo and there is a
wonderfully high fps according to glxgears and Tuxracer will run.....and
then freeze.  The soundtrack repeats one note again and again and again.

> I think it's caused by ACPI functions in the bios but I could'n't find any
> satisfaying bios settings.

Why do you think it's ACPI?  I'm not offering an opinion here, just
wondering if you have some diagnostic lead that I should investigate.

> I'd appreciate any help to find a solution so that I can keep Linux as my
> only OS.
> Thanks for your help
[snip]

Sorry, consider me a fellow sufferer.  We should stay in touch on this
though.  I am going to try ONE thing next:  I have a Soundblaster Live!
Value card and I've heard bad things about them.  I'm going to pop it out
and see if I get the same problem.  Then I'm going to try a methodical
combination of DRI-enabled kernels and XFree86 versions.

I'll let you know if I have any luck.

-Oisin