[Newbie]Radeon 8500 + DRI/DRM = ? does it work?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, David Grimes wrote:

> Hello,
>
>             Forgive me if this has been posted before or if I over
> looked something obvious.
>
> I have been going round and round with RH 7.2 XFree 4.2 DRI and this
> radeon card trying to get "dri enabled" just so I can play quake.since
> January. I have had no luck with any google searches are
> install/configure/setup/debug guides that I've found. Overall I get a
> conflicted impression as to whether the 8500 is support under xfree86
> 4.2 at all. or atleast as far as DRI is concerned. Here's the problem.
>
> Linux 2.4.18 with drm compiled in radeon driver left as a module and
> radeon fb compiled in..
>
> RH 7.2 running xfree86 4.2.0

You may be interested in this response to Radeon8500 questions on the
RedHat XFree86 mailinglist:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xfree86-list/2002q1/000346.html

<QUOTE>
8500 support will not be available until XFree86 4.3.0 if not
later.  There is nobody actively working on it in an official or
full time capacity.  Ani Joshi claims to have written 8500 3D
support for his employer, but has indicated he doesn't know if
they will allow him to release it or not.

All you can do is wait for 4.3.0 to arrive for now I'm afraid...

Sorry..
</QUOTE>

So, perhaps an email to ATI asking them politely to fund someone to do
this would be a good idea.  They are pretty good at sharing information,
hence there are pretty good drivers for ATI cards....BUT what you have is
a bleeding-edge piece of hardware!  So none of the developers has had time
to get something out for it.  You could also try to examine the list
archives for XFree86-Xpert and see if there's more information there.  A
polite email to ATI would probably help speed the process along though:
explain that your decision to purchase hardware is heavily influenced by
the availability of stable drivers for Linux.

-Oisin