[Newbie]Radeon 8500 + DRI/DRM = ? does it work?

> So, perhaps an email to ATI asking them politely to fund someone to do
> this would be a good idea.

BWAH HAR HAR.
Sorry.
ATI won't do *a thing* about this since they can't cash in on some few Linux geeks who decide not to purchase a manufaturer-supported NVidia card but the cheaper concurrent product - not worth the effort putting a coder on this. They claim they'd co-op with the XF projects, but all they do is hand out some specs when you've been gegging on your knees long enough.
Yet on the other hand maybe we're better of this way since ATI can't even code proper Windoze drivers and that's with it being their main market!
Trust me on this, I've been bothering them bout ViVo issues with Win for weeks and months when I purchased that really not cheap 64DDR back then.
If you mail them and say "Would you please code some proper Linux drivers" they'd prolly copy-and-paste the website statement directly into the reply: "ATI does not support blah blah"

Dex