[Newbie]Radeon 8500 + DRI/DRM = ? does it work?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> > So, perhaps an email to ATI asking them politely to fund someone to do
> > this would be a good idea.
>
> BWAH HAR HAR. Sorry.  ATI won't do *a thing* about this since they can't
> cash in on some few Linux geeks who decide not to purchase a
> manufaturer-supported NVidia card but the cheaper concurrent product -
> not worth the effort putting a coder on this. They claim they'd co-op
> with the XF projects, but all they do is hand out some specs when you've
> been gegging on your knees long enough. Yet on the other hand maybe
> we're better of this way since ATI can't even code proper Windoze
> drivers and that's with it being their main market! Trust me on this,
> I've been bothering them bout ViVo issues with Win for weeks and months
> when I purchased that really not cheap 64DDR back then. If you mail them
> and say "Would you please code some proper Linux drivers" they'd prolly
> copy-and-paste the website statement directly into the reply: "ATI does
> not support blah blah"

I wonder how few the "few Linux geeks" are.  A lot of people are dual
booting and are searching for hardware that is properly supported with
both M$ and *NIX operating systems.

If we DON'T email then they're never going to know are they?  However,
this argument is probably a bit off-topic and list cluttering, so let's
just say you may be right.

To add some content to the message which may be of interest to the
original poster:  there are proprietary, non-free, non-Free drivers
available from XiGraphics at (beware the line-wrap!):

http://www.xigraphics.com/Pages/Atop/CardIndividualSupportSpec/ATI-IndividualCards/8500-IntroOffer.html

Note that they have different drivers with different functionality and
this is the Platinum top-o'-the-line for $129.  You may be able to find a
more acceptably priced (for you) version if you look around the DX and WX
options

 -Oisin