[Newbie]Monitor Question

Folks,

I'm wondering how I set a monitor configuration that is different from one of the "generic video modes" in XFree86.  I'm using a Mac monitor, and running FreeBSD/XFree86 on a PC (I share the monitor between these two machines).  Basically, everything was fine after my X server configuration for quite some time.  Recently though, I'm having problems with the display responding at Mac startup.  I noticed when I did the configuration in XFree86, that there were some slight differences (such as the refresh rate being 76Hz instead of 75, etc.)  It seems that even though the only information I changed was on the PC, somehow the way the Mac interacts with the monitor has been affected.  Any help you can provide is appreciated.