OT: geeks and ATI was Re: [Newbie]Radeon 8500 + DRI/DRM = ? does it work?

> I wonder how few the "few Linux geeks" are.  A lot of people are dual
> booting and are searching for hardware that is properly supported with
> both M$ and *NIX operating systems.

Last statistics say over 90% of all ppl online use InternetExplorer, so prolly those 90% are using M$. The rest uses Nutscrape or Opera or something else which are available for Windoze as well, so this leaves only a minority for Linux.
Those who ain't online and use UN*X based OS's to get work done i.e. at a company will prolly run commercial UN*Xs for better and quicker support and won't use XFree, furthermore these machines ain't meant to run games and if their intended to proceed sophisticated 3D graphics for simulation and the like they'll highly likely have professional high end GL boards installed that have commercial drivers shipped with card.
So why waste money on setting aside a coder for programming drivers for a handful of guys who wanna play Tux Racer on their machines.
The better place to start IMO are the game manufacturers and convince *them* to port games to a stable, recently fairly well to install and maintain system. If they do, card manufacturers will start providing quality linux drivers, tho maybe closed source like NV.

> If we DON'T email then they're never going to know are they?

Right, but knowing is semantic, not pragmatic ;)

> Note that they have different drivers with different functionality and
> this is the Platinum top-o'-the-line for $129.  You may be able to find a
> more acceptably priced (for you) version if you look around the DX and WX
> options

Hmyeeessss but this is against the idea of an free and open OS, isnt't it - solutions like this rather apply to the above mentioned companies, I think.

Dex