Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 10:20:29AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 09:40:43 +0000
> "Artem S. Tashkinov" <aros@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For instance, I've CC'ed Linus Torvalds _privately_ from Bugzilla twice
> > and he _chimed_ in and _helped_ resolve the bugs.
>
> You didn't Cc Linus _privately_, because you Cc'd him from Bugzilla. I'm
> guessing that means it's a public conversation. Which is similar to Cc'ing
> a maintainer and a public mailing list.
>
> > My messages to LKML
> > were _ignored_ by +1000 people subscribed to it.
>
> LKML gets 800 emails a day. Nobody reads it (besides Jon Corbet and Andrew
> Morton). But if you send email to a maintainer privately without Cc'ing any
> public mailing list (or Bugzilla), then it will likely be ignored.

Way more than 800, IME.  And I'm still subscribed to it, even though
reading through the damn thing isn't physically possible.  About 1 or 2
percents gets past the "delete unopened" pass...

Speaking of private mail... there's one case when it's warranted -
a bug that looks like a sufficiently nasty security hole in something that
would be sufficiently widely deployed.  Preferably - with something along
the lines of "off-list due to potential security impact".

Still a matter of taste - security@ is an option for those...