Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

Hi Artem,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 11:16 AM Artem S. Tashkinov <aros@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/3/22 08:55, Mike Rapoport wrote:

> >> Being on bugzilla does _not_ mean you'll receive a single email unless
> >> someone _specifically_ CC's you.
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, bugzilla lets CC people explicitly. How the database
> > of emails in bugzilla would help choosing the right people to CC better
> > than MAINTAINERS?
> >
> > You repeated multiple times that bug reports sent to the mailing lists are
> > ignored, but what will make emails from bugzilla different from those bug
> > reports? Why do you think they will get more attention?
>
> Maybe because they are specific? Maybe because they are not part of a
> high volume mailing list such as LKML? Maybe because lots of developers
> are _not_ on any mailing lists?

If they're sent only to the maintainers, not to the subsystem mailing
lists, they may be ignored, as no one but the maintainer will be aware.

> Imagine instead you send your issue to a random mailing list. What is
> the chance another person with a similar issue will even find it?

Do not underestimate the power of search engines.

> Again the volume of bug reports is relatively low, fewer than two dozen
> a week.

Which proves this tool is insignificant in the grant scheme of (Linux)
things.

> * Multiple reporters can perfectly find the people who have made bad
> commits or who are responsible for certain drivers - it's safer to CC
> them _via_ Bugzilla than to email them _privately_ or via mailing lists
> which entails multiple issues including trust, SPAM, formatting,
> English, net etiquette, etc. etc. etc.

Never send bug reports privately, unless you have a monetary
relationship with the receiving end.  Always Cc the subsystem
mailing list, so anyone involved can help.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds