Re: WordPerfect12

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 19:09 -0400, Doug wrote:
> It looks like I can now save files to the Linux directory also.

You should use your Linux File Manager to poke around under the hood a
little to see where the "Windows drives", that Wine makes available to
the programs you run, are mapped to. In particular, if you're using the
default wine prefix, WINE_PREFIX=.wine, then C: points to
the .wine/drive_c directory on your login directory ($HOME) and the Z:
drive points to '/', the root of the Linux filing system. IOW, if your
home directory is called 'myhome', then if you save a WP file to
Z:\home\myhome and then exit from WP, you'll find the file on your login
directory.

Spending five minutes looking at this sort of stuff is time well spent.
Its always worth knowing how a program like Wine does things and how
this affects the Windows apps it runs because what you know about this
will apply to any other program you run with Wine.

> Do you know if I can save in Word 1997~2003 format without at the same
> time making the program
> look and feel like MS Word? I got sort of strange results when I tried
> that. Maybe have to play with it some more.

If WP12 can do it on a Windows box, it should be able to do it on a
Linux box under Wine provided that all the DLLs etc it needs for the
task have been installed. By that I mean that if WP12 can do it as the
only app installed on a Windows box, it can do it under Wine, but if
doing it under Windows needs extra WP DLLs or programs, you'll need them
under Wine as well.

Martin