Re: Configuring the remote control unit for the Astrometa USB stick

Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 09:16:31PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 09:57:37PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
Now I will only have to figure out how to get the remote control to work.

The Astrometa driver in the Linux kernel exposes a /dev/input/event device that did not react to any of my remote control units, including the one that was bundled with the USB stick.

I figured out that the package ir-keytable needs to be installed.

After I added the line
* * hauppauge.toml
as the first non-comment line of /etc/rc_maps.cfg
I was able to use my Hauppauge RCU with the USB DVB stick. It is also recognized by vdr-plugin-remote (vdr -Premote).

This is nice, because "sudo apt install inputlirc lirc" would consume more than 85 megabytes due to some Python and X11 dependencies.

One problem remains. If I hold a button down, "ir-keytable -t" will keep reporting key_down and key_up events. I also feel that it is discarding at least every second RC5 packet (occasionally discarding more), no matter which --period or --delay settings I try. I had a crude patch for the cx88 kernel driver years ago to fix the key-repeat (for example, so that holding the volume button will adjust the volume as quickly as possible). Now it could be time to port the patch to the new infrastructure and submit it.

	Marko