Configuring the remote control unit for the Astrometa USB stick

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 09:57:37PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
Now I will only have to figure out how to get the remote control to work.

The Astrometa driver in the Linux kernel exposes a /dev/input/event device that did not react to any of my remote control units, including the one that was bundled with the USB stick.

I would guess that slightly different devices with the same USB ID have been bundled with different types of remote control units, and the Linux kernel might support a different type of RCU.

It turns out that /dev/lirc0 would expose the raw pulses. I configured LIRC so that I can use the RC5 based unit that was bundled with the old Hauppauge Nova-T PCI card. It is a much better choice; an almost perfect match for VDR.

I may post configurations later when I have completed the full setup. My plan is to set up a Raspbian-based system that records on the local MicroSD card but can also access a USB hard disk or an NFS server that would be powered up on demand.

	Marko