Re: Trouble with DVB-T2 on frontend 1

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 07:21:58PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
Hi all,

I recently got a USB adapter "Astrometa DVB-T2" that I would like to use with VDR. It comprises two frontends:

/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0: Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T)
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1: Panasonic MN88473 (DVB-T2 and DVB-C)

Apart from these files, in /dev/dvb/adapter0 I can see the following:
demux0 dvr0 net0

It seems to me that the dvbdevice.c of VDR 2.3.8 assumes that all these files exist for all frontends. But there is no demux1, dvr1, or net1 on my system.

In dvbdevice.h, I think that the macros DEV_VIDEO, DEV_DVB_VIDEO, DEV_DVB_AUDIO are unused and the definitions could be removed.

For cDvbTuner::SetFrontend() the cDvbTuner::adapter and cDvbTuner::frontend are already fixed. For my device, frontend0 should only be valid for DVB-T, while frontend1 is valid for DVB-T2 and DVB-C. How to handle these known-invalid combinations? By 'return true'? Or should I rather hack cDvbTuner so that it opens a file descriptor for each frontend, and then chooses the appropriate one in cDvbTuner::SetFrontend() based on frontendType?

Last, I noticed that there exists cDvbDevice::BondDevices() for bonding multiple DVB-S devices to the same dish. I guess it is not feasible to extend this to my DVB-T/DVB-T2 device, because I would suppose that unlike the DVB-S devices, my USB stick does not support concurrent reception from both frontends at the same time.

	Marko