Re: German translation for "Plugin"

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:05:07 +0100, Joachim Wilke wrote:

> 2009/1/11 Lauri Tischler <lwgt@xxxxxx>:
>> Plse dont change it, now when searching for 'plugin' something sometimes
>> comes up also from german sources, if the term is changed to 'erweiterung'
>> all german sources will become essentially black holes.
>
> If this is your argument, why are applications translated at all? It
> would be much easier to have, as an example, only one kind of error
> message for each error to look for.

Having managed tons of UI translation projects, I can safely say that there
is nothing more painful than a retrospective term change, especially for a
term as fundamental as "plugin" is to VDR. My advice, FWIW, is if the term
is understood by new users then it should be left well alone. If you were
talking about a term that had only just been introduced, or even one that
only occurred in just one menu hidden away in the depths of the setup
pages, then you could consider changing it, but to modify a core term
(unless the underlying concept has changed and you want to draw attention
to this and distinguish the new concept from the old) is just plain daft.

My 2 cents.

Iwan