Re: VDR with S2API (update)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Halim Sahin <halim.sahin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This would add more complexity to vdr and make it unstable.
> BTW. VDR is a video disk recorder not a media center??
> I don't know an other multimedia project like vdr wich works
> stable like vdr.

Why would you assume VDR would become unstable?  You must not have
much confidence in Klaus and the others who contribute code to VDR!  I
think these people are perfectly capable of doing a great job with
whatever changes/enhancements the future holds.  Also, yes VDR stands
for Video Disk Recorder but that's irrelevant.  Have you ever
considered that during VDR's conception and early development 8-9
years ago that pc media center's wern't really viable?  Times have
changed, why do you think there's emphasis on integration these days?
I'll give you an example...  8-9 years ago having a usb port on a
television was silly but now many models have one or something similar
so people can easily display their digital pictures.  Change is
nothing to be scared of and can yield great new advantages.

> Maybe those people who wants such a networking capable vdr should fork it and
> implement the needed features?

Possibly.  However, I could be wrong but didn't Klaus recently say if
anyone forks VDR, he would stop developing it?  And it isn't as if
there's a huge pool of coders working on VDR to begin with.

> Please stop writing
> Many people move away from vdr etc.
> if they have a working solution it is ok.
> In this case there is an alternative to vdr and Klaus doesn't
> need to implement such features.

I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to speak the truth.  Also, I
think it's pretty poor thinking to say if an alternative exists then
there's no reason to implement more features.  Almost every person I
know who switched to MythTV wishes they never had to and would come
back to VDR in a heartbeat if it offered the big features.  I'm not
talking about eye candy and so on, I don't know anyone who switched
for that reason so please don't bother mentioning it.

For all of us who hope VDR might become more then it is now and meet
the needs of the growing number of 'media center' users, our opinions
are every bit as valid as yours not wanting such progression.

Don't put down peoples passion for VDR.  It should be taken as a compliment!