Re: VDR with S2API (update)

On 09.12.2008 23:04, Magnus Hörlin wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>>> I'm sorry if you think I was "bashing" the eHD card or RMM, that was not
>>> my intention. What I meant was that I hope Klaus doesn't buy one because
>>>
>> I already have one ;-)
>>
> Ok, I missed that.
>>
>>> I think that would keep him in the "ff-card/one computer/one
>>> user"-thinking longer. If he switched to using xinelib/ffmpeg I think we
>>> would see a "separated vdr-backend with multiple frontends
>>> capability"-scenario a lot sooner, don't you?
>>>
>> My VDR is one machine with several DVB devices and hardware replay.
>> As long as there is a way of having a good hardware replay, why
>> shouldn't I use it?
>>
> My opinion as a hardware design engineer is that when my cpu is 97% idle
> displaying 1080p video, it is hardware replay. And the GPU is already
> there for the majority of the vdr users, so why not focus on that?

Well, tell that to people writing plugins for such output devices.
I don't see where *I* would be involved there?!
I want an easy to use hardware output device, and so far the FF DVB cards
served me just fine. The next step in *my* VDR will be an eHD card (as I
already have one). Others may use whatever output device they prefer.
That's why cDevice is a virtual class and allows implementing any kind
of output device ;-)

>> Why would software replay in my VDR change anyting regarding "separated
>> vdr-backend with multiple frontends capability"?
>>
> My guess was that if xinelib was your "native" vdr frontend, perhaps you
> would try running it on your laptop or desktop machine or whatever, and
> eventually see that there's room for improvement when running multiple
> frontends.

Maybe I'll even get there one day - but it's no immediate need for me.
Sorry for being a little "selfish" here, but I always made it clear
that VDR to me is a plain, simple digital receiver and video recorder.
Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles, just recording and replaying
video broadcasts.

>> Besides, isn't there the streamdev plugin that provides signals
>> to other clients? I've never tried it myself, but I was under
>> the impression that this is what people use in such cases...
>>
> That's just my point, you havn't tried it for the above mentioned
> reasons..... I use streamdev and multiple vdr instances myself, but it's
> not perfect. I really hope you don't take any offence by my posts, I'm a
> huge fan.

I haven't seen anything offensive in your posts ;-)

Klaus