Re: VDR with S2API (update)

Georg Acher wrote:> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 07:34:19PM +0100, Magnus Hörlin wrote:>>   >> I hope you don't buy an eHD card since I don't believe it's the way to >> go and it would drive VDR in the wrong direction. I'm sitting here with >> a ???65 nvidia 8200-based motherboard playing 1080p videos with the cpu >> 97% idle using vdpau and ffmpeg! That's NOT software decoding if you ask >> me. And now that hdmi audio finally works with nvidia it's just awesome. >> I REALLY hope the xine guys will get this running soon.>> Btw, thanks to Klaus and the rest for all the work you put into this.>> /Magnus H>>     >> Why all this eHD-bashing? Just because a *commercial* company already made a> complete HDTV-vdr-solution more than 18 months ago that the vdr-community> hasn't achieved until now? >> Of course the eHD won't live forever, probably not half as long as the> FF-card, but it solved an imminent issue at that time and it allowed to run> vdr and HDTV on it.>> I also favour decoding in the graphics card instead of dedicated HW, but> please make a reality check: For Linux, this option is now available for 4> weeks or so...>> BTW: The HDTV/h264-capability is in no way related to the eHD, so it simply> cannot drive vdr in the wrong direction. If you look at the stuff that the> reelvdr already has in its core for TS/HDTV/h264-handling you will see that> there is ZERO dependency on the eHD. The eHD-reelvant code is just an> output-plugin similar to the softdevice-plugin.>> The reelvdr code base is tested by a really large number of users (many> thousands and not many geeks ;-) ). Is there any specific reason why you> don't want to profit from the experiences RMM already made?>>   I'm sorry if you think I was "bashing" the eHD card or RMM, that was not my intention. What I meant was that I hope Klaus doesn't buy one because I think that would keep him in the "ff-card/one computer/one user"-thinking longer. If he switched to using xinelib/ffmpeg I think we would see a "separated vdr-backend with multiple frontends capability"-scenario a lot sooner, don't you? Or is it just me who sometimes like to look at some other show than my wife or kids, even though I love to be with them most of the time?/Magnus