Upgrading from DXR3 to FF, and not happy

I lost my temper with crashes with dxr3, and now I have DVB-S FF
(Technotrend 1.3) to be used as output only. Here are pros and cons:

+ display is not getting messed with OSD/mp3 plugin
+ no more hard crashes where conputer needs reset. VDR watchdog takes
  care

- Jammed and killed by watchdog all the time. I had problems with
  DXR3, but now usability is worse. After pressing back from viewing
  recoderd program 50% it gets jammed and watchdog restart. There was
  recording running at the same time, and also noad running (with nice).
- Picture, all colors are too bright. I need
  to adjust brigtness, color and contrast (and still not happy). I
  suppose this would need some module parameter, but did not had time
  to study this far.
- After boot vdr thinks volume is 0, and when I start adjusting
  volume, for 0.5s it is FULL, then it gets to where it should
  be.

My system is P350, 224M memory, vdr 1.3.23, 2.4 kernel, dvb-kernel
drivers from CVS ~2 weeks ago (needed CVS version for Airstar2)

I was expecting to get stable usable system by getting FF card, but no
way. Any ideas what might the problem be:

- Too slow CPU
- 2.4 kernel, everybody uses 2.6 ?
- Using DVB-S as output only is bad idea
- Bad HW (computer or DVB-FF)
- Bad DVB driver version
- Bad VDR version
- Bad luck
- Nothing broken, this is the way it is for everybody. I should use
  more M$-products to get to used crashes

--
M. Tavasti /  tavasti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  /   +358-40-5078254