Re: Howto for properly partitioning new drives with 4096 byte sectors (like Western Digital Advanced Format EARS drives)

On 02/15/2010 06:06 AM, Karel Zak wrote:
>  I'm not sure if I good understand how the layout can outlive
>  respective media. dd(1) to any other disk?

Yes, or anything else that images disks.

>  In some cases we cannot ignore disk topology, for example for
>  desktop-class 4K disks (or some NetApp setups, etc.) you have to use
>  alignment_offset to calculate the physical block boundary.
>
>  Currently, we (fdisk / parted) use 1MiB offset (and grain) for
>  devices with unknown topology only.

Obviously, if the alignment is offset, you're basically screwed.
Fortunately it sounds like those drives aren't going to be too common --
even WD's recent desktop drives don't come with an alignment offset by
default.  The idea, though, is to keep a reasonably sane layout that
will work on most media.  Obviously across different logical sector
sizes we're screwed with that, but it looks like the sector size is
going to stay at 4K for the forseeable future once the transition is over...

>  Applied with some minor changes, thanks for the hint.

Thanks!!!

	-hpa