Re: Howto for properly partitioning new drives with 4096 byte sectors (like Western Digital Advanced Format EARS drives)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010, Aleksander Adamowski wrote

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Aleksander Adamowski

>> My drive seems to prove their article wrong :(

> Looks like I'm not the only one being disappointed:
> http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/m-p/7452

Strangely enough, an user that posted to that same forum topic a
couple of months ago seems to report a drive similar to yours (WDC
WD15EARS-00Z5B1, firmware rev. 80.00A80) is correctly reporting a
physical block size of 4KB:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/m-p/10739#M613

hdparm -I /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:

ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number:       WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1
    Serial Number:      WD-WMAVUxxxxxxx
    Firmware Revision:  80.00A80
[...]
Configuration:
[...]
    Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
    Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes
[...]

Unfortunately he doesn't report what version of hdparm he is using,
his kernel version is 2.6.32-8.

I commented about that on a further post to that thread, comparing it to
what I see with a 1 TB EARS drive:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/m-p/20675#M1245

Could this mean WD has changed things so some (newer?) models correctly
report the real physical sector size?

Regards,

--
Ramiro